How to Make Goat Milk Soap DVD

Friday, February 15, 2008

Using Color in Cold Process Soap

I have been very happy with my results in using color in cold process soap. There are many ways in which I use colour. I will list a few that I am very happy with.
Spices - Spices are natural and can give some lovely soap colors. I have used curry for yellow soap and paprika for peach coloured soap.
Pigments - Pigments are also natural. I have used many of these colours, but you must know which ones are good for cold process soap. Some colours (like the blue) do not work in cold process soap, so be sure you ask before purchasing. I especially like gold mica, green mica, and crimson mica.
Food - Cocoa powder is an ingredient I have used for marbling or swirling a small portion of the soap into the rest of the soap - very pretty. Milk is an ingredient in soap making which turns the soap a lovely brown colour. Vanilla fragrance is an ingredient in many different Fragrance Oils which will turn your soap brown. Be sure to read FO descriptions carefully. I have been surprised several times when my soap turned brown from the FO and I wasn't expecting it to. The results were very nice, but not what I had expected.
Synthetic colors - There is a whole array of color here. These personally are not my favorites, but sometimes I will use one to get a special effect. I really dislike hand crafted soaps that are flourescent - like fuschia and bright blue. They just look fake to me. But using these colours sparingly in a few bars may give you a wider variety in your soap booth. I would have to say, however, that my top twelve soaps are made without using these kinds of colours.
Using colour in cold process soap doesn't have to be a daunting task. Just be sure to inquire if they work well in cold process soap before you try them.

For more information on making soap you can check out my website at How to Make Soap.

No comments:

PREVIEW MY DVD HERE!!

Recommended for Essential Oils

Camdengrey Essential Oils