How to Make Goat Milk Soap DVD

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Soap Color Dyes

I was recently asked where to find good soap color dyes. I had always bought my dyes from the Pigment Lady, but she has closed her doors. It took some investigating, but I am very pleased with my results. I would recommend buying pigments from Brambleberry. They carry the same products that I used to be able to buy from the Pigment Lady.

First let me say that there are a lot of spices that dye cold-processed soap very naturally and beautifully and I would highly recommend using spices. But if you want a color you cannot achieve with a spice look at Brambleberry's Mica powders. You need to read the fine print (just like with the fragrances) to be sure the item works properly with cold-process soap. If it says it doesn't work, then don't waste your money....it won't work! I like micas because like spices they are natural. Nothing artificial.

Your next choice may be an oxide. Oxides are not my favorite because I don't really care for the artificial look of many of the colors, but some color blends are very pretty. I prefer colors that are softer versus colors that are neon brite!

Brambleberry does have an instruction page linked to the Micas and Pigments page so be sure to read that, but you will have to learn how much dye you like according to some experimenting. I usually use very little for one batch of soap (maybe only 1/4 or 1/2 tsp.) so error on too little if you are experimenting. Just make sure you WRITE everything down. I guarantee you won't remember the next time unless you do (ask me how I know).

I hope this helps get you pointed in a good direction for soap color dyes.

How to Make Soap
PREVIEW MY DVD HERE!!

Recommended for Essential Oils

Camdengrey Essential Oils